Friday, May 25, 2007

music lessons

We go to Gymboree every Friday afternoon. Morgan loves it and I'm constantly hoping to meet other mothers to whom I can relate (not yet). Anyway, it is customary at our Gymboree to have a weekly discussion topic. This week's topic was music you like to listen to with your baby. What sorts of music does s/he like? What sorts of things so you sing with him/her? etc.

As we went around the room and I hear the replies of the other mothers I knew that MJ and I were out of the loop.

“Oh, Stevie likes the 'Tinker Boxer' song.”
“Anna loves the Putumayo CDs.”
“Evan laughs every time we sing 'Five Little Monkeys'”

When they got to me my reply was, “Morgan loves AC/DC, but the early years. She definitely prefers Bon Scott to Brian Johnson. Oh yeah, and we listen to a lot of Tool and Nine Inch Nails. Those are always favorites.”

I was greeted by stunned silence and then uncomfortable laughter.

What can I say? The kid's got good taste.

9 comments:

Rambler said...

Funny ha :), AC/DC,
what is your favorite when it comes to music?

Paige said...

Me? I'm a NIN girl, all the way. :)

Nikki Neurotic said...

That's my kind of baby!

I can only imagine the looks the other mothers gave you though.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Henry is partial to Built to Spill and anything Beatles.

Anonymous said...

I meant to add when I had my playdate the other day the other moms were doing itsy bitsy spider and some other kiddy songs and I was like, Oh yeah, I can sing *kid* songs. For a minute it made me feel like I was letting him miss out on something but then I realized he is the only one that dances when he hears music.

Paige said...

Debbie, I really do think that having children listen to "real" music helps them appreciate it. Not that I'm sure toddler-type songs aren't fun when they can sing a long, but what's the point now?

MJ also likes the Beatles. I can tell because she flaps her arms in that "little bird trying to fly" manner when she's happy and The White Album especially gets that reaction. Have you ever tried listening to Jack Johnson? MJ really likes him too. We sing along to the Curious George album a lot... only we sing "kitty watching" instead of "people watching". :D

Jenn in Holland said...

When my daughter was 2 (she's now 11) her favorite napping music was CHUMBAWUMBA. She insisted that Tubthumping was put on repeat. I still don't know how, but it worked everytime. Knocked her down into slumber...

Don't know that it was good taste in music, but it sure is a worthy anecdote now!

Dayngr said...

Mama loves her some NIN but I haven't played it for the kids yet. I can tell you already that Charlie will say TOO LOUD mama and Lola will rock out all while clapping her hands over her head.

Paige said...

Chumbawumba??? lol Haven't thought of that in AGES!

Dangyr - Lola sounds like my kind of girl. How old is she?